Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ogden Family Reunion!!!

From July 1st through the 3rd we went to Central Utah for the Ogden Family Reunion! It was put together in honor of
Walter Marsh Ogden...
and Mary O Ross Ogden's 100th anniversary...
who are my Great-Great Grandparents! I come from an AMAZING family!!! Every side of my family has such great history and I love to listen to the stories of my ancestors! I felt such great pride gathering together with nearly 250 of the descendants of these two great people!!!(Disclaimer: This post will contain many pictures and descriptions to illustrate my families history. Please enjoy!)
The first day we were there we went on a walking tour of the town of Richfield, Utah where we got to see and learn about many of the sights of my families history!
Our first stop was the house that my Great-Great Grandpa and Grandma Ogden built in 1912. The lady who lives there now let us tour the inside where many things were still in original condition. She also told us that while she was cleaning out the attic one day, she found the bill of sale on the house when it was first built. It cost my Grandparents $2,700 to build the house 98 years ago! Crazy!!!
My mom, Dena, my grandma, Linda and my Aunt Sarah in front of the house!
Next stop, the church building where my Great-Great Grandma Ogden was the Relief Society President for 20 years during the Great Depression! Such a BEAUTIFUL building!!!
We continued on to see the original sights of the Ideal Dairy (I'll share more about that later), the general store my Great-Great-Great Grandfather owned along with his house which has been replaced with a parking lot.
We went to a small cabin which contained a lot of historical items related to the pioneers who traveled to Utah. Donated in 2005 was this trunk which traveled with my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandparents from England in the late 1800's and contained all of their belongings!
After our walking tour, we continued on to a cemetery where my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandpa and Grandma Wells are buried. Next up, the Wooden Nickel in Marysvale which is the sight of where my Grandpa Callaway ran a Boys Ranch and built a home that stands on top of the hill.
We had a fun picnic and enjoyed some time visiting with everyone!
The next morning we got together again with everyone at the reunion for a picture! All 250 of us at the football stadium!
After the photo we got together at the cemetery to recognize and remember all of those who have gone before us! Not many people can stand in one place at a cemetery, look in every direction, and see the names of relatives on headstones all around them. I am soooooooo grateful for my ancestors and the sacrifices they made to join the church and make a great life for our family! I am so proud of my heritage and learned so much more about it at this family reunion!!!
Natalie, Me, Trevor, Ashley, Megan and Aubrey at the grave site of our Great-Great Grandpa and Grandma Ogden!
Everyone at the reunion had a shirt which colored represented which of Walter and Mary's children they were descendants of. We were red, which means that we are the descendants of Dale, one of their 3 boys. While we were at the cemetery, we also visited the grave site of My Great Grandpa Dale Ross Ogden and my Great Grandma Edna Elizabeth Brox Ogden!
Also buried at the Richfield cemetery is my Uncle Christopher Lowell Callaway who died as an infant in a car accident! Such a reminder of how precious life is!!!
My Grandpa Lowell Callaway and Grandma Linda Ogden Callaway, their niece they helped raise Angie Ogden Osborn, and their living children Sarah Callaway Rath, Dena Callaway Schmidt, Mark Callaway, Karen Callaway Jarvis and Victoria Callaway Baasch!!!
After visiting the cemetery we headed back to the gym where we spent much of our time in true Utah country style!!!
We enjoyed our last lunch with everyone and had a lot of fun!!!
Lastly, we headed to the Ideal Dairy that I mentioned earlier. We visited the original sight of this Richfield establishment on our walking tour and got to visit the modern day Ideal Dairy on our final day at the reunion. The reason this place is important, is because it is my ancestors who opened the original Ideal Dairy!!!
We had a long and enjoyable reunion with our family and getting to know those we never see all over again! We were so pooped that this was the scene in the back of our car on the way back to our campsite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was so awsome I want to do it all over again!!!

..Kris Naven.. said...

Krista, that is so incredible! What an awesome thing to experience, and to learn all the wonderful things you did about your family history! What an amazing time yu must have had! Thanks for sharing your family history and I really enjoyed all the pics!